April 10, 2020
?In light of the numerous changes in daily behaviour across the world because of the coronavirus,?Microsoft has published the first edition of its?Work Trend .?It uses the Microsoft Graph of usage data to analyse productivity trends and observe how remote working scenarios are changing the way we connect with each other.
Microsoft says meetings on its Teams service recently hit a new daily record of 2.7 billion meeting minutes in one day, up 200 percent from 900 million in mid-March.
The increase mirrors that of Zoom, which has seen an explosion in the number of users according to a recent report from J P Morgan which uses download data to claim that daily and monthly active users on Zoom’s app reached 15.3 million and 28 million, respectively by the end of March. Those numbers reflect a five-fold rise in the number of daily active users and a near tripling in monthly active users, compared with a year earlier.
Key findings from the Microsoft Work Trend report:
Usage has exploded:
- Microsoft saw a new daily record of 7 billion meeting minutes in one day. That’s an increase of 200% from 900 million in mid-March
- 183,000 tenants in 175 countries are using Teams for Education to allow educators to connect with their students via a virtual classroom experience.
Humans are hardwired for connection. Video used to be a nice to have, now it’s a must have.?
- Teams users are turning on their video two times more often?than before the COVID-19 outbreak, which showcases the importance of eye contact and physical connections for people working and learning from afar.
- Total video calls have grown by 1,000% in March.
Countries and industries most impacted are turning to mobile to?connect?and people are now working more flexible hours as they?juggle work and life.?
- The number of?weekly Teams mobile users grew more than 3x from early February to March 31.
- We saw most notable increases in Teams mobile engagement?in countries most impacted such as Italy and Spain?and in industries?most impacted?such as education and government.
This moment will change the way we work and connect with each other forever.
- Despite some employees returning to work, there are still more than?two times the number of new Teams users each day in China?compared to end of January.
- The?number of daily active Teams users in China also continues to grow week over week.